Who is Akash Madhwal? Engineer who broke records in LSG vs MI match at IPL 2023
Akash Madhwal starred for the Mumbai Indians in their stunning 81-run win over Lucknow Super Giants in the IPL 2023 Eliminator clash. He came back with the magical figures of 5/5 in the game which led to LSG being sidelined by just 101 runs in pursuit of 183 runs. The young pacemaker has now picked 13 wickets in just 8 matches and, to be more precise, he has accounted for nine scalps in the last two games, coming on just in time for the five-time champions.
Not many knew Akash Madhwal before his exploits for MI this season. So these are some of the facts you should know about him:
1. Akash Madhwal hails from Uttarakhand and became the first player from the state to play in the Indian Premier League.
2. Madhwal has studied Engineering.
3. Madhwal has played 10 FC, 17 List-A and 29 T20 matches so far in his career.
4. The 29-year-old has an interesting connection to Rishabh Pant, who also hails from Uttarakhand, Madhwal trained with Avtar Singh during the early years of his career. Avtar was also Pant’s coach before moving to Delhi.
5. Madhwal was a part of RCB’s camp as a net shooter in IPL 2022 before MI picked him up as Suryakumar Yadav’s replacement in IPL 2022.
6. Akash Madhwal is also the captain of Uttarakhand in white ball cricket.
Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma praised Akash Madhwal after he delivered an excellent spell against LSG in the knockout match. Rohit was also delighted that the team pushed through difficult times this season and led him to the playoffs. “That’s what we’ve done over the years. People don’t expect us to do what we’ve done, but we did it. He (Akash) was part of the team last year as a support bowler, and once that Jofra was missing and I knew he had the skills and character to do the job for us.
“Over the years we have seen a lot of guys come from Mumbai Indians and play for India. It’s important that (the youngsters) feel special and feel part of the team, my job is to make them feel comfortable in the middle. They are very clear in their roles about what they have to do for the team and that’s what you want. As a team we enjoy it (fielding). It’s good to see everyone contributing on the pitch. Coming to Chennai, we knew everyone the team. needs to come to the party. At Wankhede you need one or two brilliant performances, but here it’s a different ball game,” he said.
latest cricket news