Shubman Gill breaks his third century of IPL 2023, here’s a look at all the special milestones he achieved
Shubman Gill looked unstoppable in the IPL 2023 Qualifier 2 between Gujarat Titans and Mumbai Indians on Friday. He broke his third century of the season with just 49 balls. The ton of it included 4 fours and 8 sixes. Prior to this, the 23-year-old star batsman had batted tons against Royal Challengers Bangalore and Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Upon reaching one hundred, Gill rose to the third position on the list of players with the most centuries in an IPL season. Virat Kohli and Jos Buttler both broke four centuries on the season to top the list.
Most centuries in IPL season:
- Virat Kohly: 4 centuries (2016)
- If butler: 4 centuries (2022)
- Shubman Gill: 3 centuries (2023)
Gill also became the seventh batsman to score a century in the IPL playoffs. In addition, he is the youngest hitter, at 23 years and 260 days, to score a hundred in the Playoffs. He also became the second Indian to record the most runs in an IPL innings by scoring 129 runs from 60 balls. The list is topped by KL Rahul, who scored 132 runs in 2020 when he played for Punjab Kings against Royal Challengers Bangalore. He too crossed the 800-run mark for the season and rose to third place on the list of most runs-scoring players in an IPL season.
Here is the list:
- Virat Kohli – 973 runs (2016)
- Jos Buttler – 863 runs (2022)
- Shubman Gill – 851 runs (2023)
- David Warner – 848 runs (2016)
- Kane Williamson – 735 runs (2018)
Another record broken by Shubman is that of Virender Sehwag which was created by him in the year 2014, as he recorded the highest Playoff score in the history of the tournament.
Players who record the most runs in Playoffs in IPL:
- Shubman Gill: 129 runs (vs MI, 2023)
- Virender Sehwag: 122 runs (vs CSK, 2014)
- Shane Watson: 117 runs (vs SRH, 2018)
- Wriddhiman Saha: 115 runs (vs. KKR, 2014)
The star hitter also became the joint leader in the elite list of players to score the fastest playoff century in tournament history.
List of players to reach the fastest 100 in the Playoffs:
- Wriddhiman Saha (PBKS vs KKR) – 49 balls (Final 2014)
- Rajat Patidar (RCB vs LSG) – 49 balls (2022 Eliminator)
- Shubman Gill (GT vs MI) – 49 balls (2023 Qualifier 2)
latest cricket news